Thursday, June 30, 2011

Disappointed

There were some brown spots developing on my potato patch. I tried researching the spots to see what was causing them but couldn't find anything. Take a look at this picture, do you know what this is?



Since I didn't know the cause I decided that it was time to just harvest all of the spuds. It was kind of a disappointing harvest, but I do love fresh spuds. I know that most people just leave this as a vegetable to buy at the grocery store because of the space and cost. I bought one pound of seed potatoes from Territorial for around 4 bucks and harvested about 2 1/2 pounds. The way I look at it is that I couldn't have gotten this amount of fresh spuds for the same price. I do have to say that I have usually had great results just using organic potatoes that sat on the counter too long.




The big dissapointment is from the pea patch. I harvested all of the snap peas from my son's bed and the shelling Dakota peas from another bed. The snap peas were still flowering but I don't have a ton of recipes to use them with and my husband will surely love the carrots that I am going to plant in their place. The Dakota peas are super yummy, but they just didn't put out like I had hoped and they weren't flowering anymore. Some plants had 6-8 pods and others only had one or two on them. For the amount of peas I planted I only ended up getting 2.25 pounds. A success in that I love just going out to the garden and picking a few for a snack, but I have realized that if I want any to make it into the freezer that I would really need to devote a lot more space that I just don't have. I will try and plant some in early August and see if I can get another crop before the rains arrive.

When I first put the garden beds in I told my husband that I had a goal of harvesting two hundred pounds from the garden. At this point it doesn't look like I will hit that goal, but I have come to the conclusion that anything we harvest is better than getting it at the store or the farmer's market. A story about the Farmer's Market to come later.

3 comments:

Judy T said...

Not sure but it looks kind of like the bacterial spot or speck I've got on my tomatoes. I'm not sure if it affects potatoes as well but it would seem likely. I'd see you could find photos of it. It tends to like wet weather.
Judy

Akannie said...

If your weather has been as crazy as everywhjere else....much of my gatrden isn't doing what it should either, and I'm a seasoned gardener.

It can be a real crap shoot some years. I garden organically, so I have to try to find my way around pest problems without the aid of most stuff on the market.

Were those fingerling potatoes?

Dopn't give up on your garden yet...you might be surpised at what limps in before it's all said and done.

wisegoat acres said...

We haven't had a ton of rain, but the sun hasn't been coming out either so I am sure that it is some type of bacteria.
Akannie- I also have an organic garden so I would rather just cut my losses and plant something else. They are fingerling potatoes. I love them roasted in the oven with some olive oil and garlic.