Friday, July 8, 2011

Farmer's Markets

I first starting going to farmer's markets when it was time for my son to start eating solid foods. I had decided that I was going to make all of his food and I liked being able to get our weekly produce all in one trip. Farmer's markets in California have an advantage over other areas, the growing season is quite long so the markets run year round. I could go to farmer's markets and get my weekly produce for less than it would cost me to go to the grocery store.

The farmer's market opened in Eugene the weekend that we arrived. I couldn't wait to go because I had heard that this market was quite large and was a popular destination on Saturday mornings. There are two things that really disappoint me about this market, the prices are quite expensive and there are way too many food vendors and not enough farm stands. I know that the food vendors attract people to the market, but I would prefer if there were lots of vendors of vegetables/fruits to choose from. I ended up spending $5 for a dozen eggs and $4 for a loaf of bread, insane!!

As the summer progresses I am going to try and go to a few of the other local markets to see if I can find one that caters to fresh produce. If not, I will definitely be expanding the garden next year so that I won't be needing anything from the market. A lady at my husband's work has chickens and she sells her eggs for $2 a dozen. We now receive a dozen a week so that is one less thing needed from the market.

I sure do miss talking to the farmers though.

No comments: